Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Food: Pumpkin Pie worries

For all the crap I shovel about being a decent cook and all, there are a few basic things that I have neither mastered nor done.  Pumpkin pie was one of them until now.  It's in the oven, smelling delicious, but I am absolutely paranoid about it.  I shouldn't really be paranoid; I followed the recipe on the can of pumpkin almost exactly (I substituted ye olde Penzey's Pumpkin Pie Spice for the cinnamon and nutmeg in the recipe according to the instructions given by Penzey's), and the batter tasted almost right.  Why didn't it taste completely right?  It was lacking that spiciness I want in my pumpkin pie usually given by the teaspoon of freshly-grated nutmeg in the batter (for two pies).  Now, Penzey's has built my love and trust for them by being fantastically flavorful even in their dried and ground spices and herbs, and my pumkin pie spice still smells strong and fantastic and worked beautifully in pumpkin pancakes two weeks ago.  So it shouldn't be too bad, right?


The worries/questions circulating 'round my foodie brain are

  • Does the flavor get stronger after baking?
  • If it does, did I add too much spice?
  • What if the edges of my crust are burned?  Will my family disown me for this?  (probably not, to answer the last question...)
We shall see when it comes out of the oven.  My mom's phone must not have been on; otherwise I'd have called her and played the what-if game and she would have laughed me into oblivion.

Regardless of the result of these pies, I wish a very happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment