Friday, November 25, 2011

Food: Cooking with Mom

Yesterday I cooked Thanksgiving dinner with my mommy.  That's her hands rolling the crescent rolls.  She did it so fast that I had to have her pose for this picture.

Mom is so uber-organized that she makes a timeline on the same paper every year and dates it.  Inside the cookbook below the paper, she has several years worth of timelines saved. 


This dog found out that he LOVES turkey because Mom "dropped" some on the floor.  Sneaky Mommy. 


This year, the turkey was not brined, but merely stuffed and cooked.  And you know what?  It was wonderful.  It was moist, flavorful, and delicious.  I know that if I ever cook a turkey I'll probably brine it, but this turkey was just perfect without the brine.  Foodies across the nation may be freaking out about me saying that, and be wondering about my unrefined taste buds, but I'm telling you: last year's brined turkey was delicious, and this year's unbrined turkey was just as good.  Maybe Mom is magic.

On our Thanksgiving menu:

  • turkey
  • stuffing (mom's secret recipe)
  • mashed potatoes (made with locally grown Yukon gold potatoes, butter, cream, milk, and secret seasonings including but not limited to fresh parsley from my garden)
  • broccoli-cheese casserole (ohhhh yes)
  • sweet potatoes a la mom
  • corn with butter
  • cranberry sauce - "that good stuff that comes from a can" (that's what the Uncle says)
  • crescent rolls
  • gravy
  • pumpkin pie
  • cranberry-nut pie
  • chocolate peanut butter pie
  • Toasted Head Chardonnay
  • Water
And royal shame on me for not photographing the table.  It was busy in that thar kitchen.  But I had a wonderful time sharing the experience with Mom and family.

Love you, Mommy.

No comments:

Post a Comment